"Adult playgrounds" boost exercise
NEW YORK CITY, N.Y; July 9, 2012 (WPVI) -- New York City has a new way to get people off the couch.
It's an outdoor gym that some call an "adult playground."
It recently opened in the Bronx near Yankee Stadium, and has quickly become a big hit.
"Right now we need recreation. For everybody. For everyone. For humans. You know things for them to do," says regular gym user Dwight Edwards.
Other users say it's great to get the exercise they need - for free- and in a place where they can clear their head.
Emanuel Acheampon adds, "We have too much idle time on our hands in New York City."
"It's not like a gym, like an indoor gym where you hear weight dropping...it's like you're outside, and before you know it, you are done with your workout," he says.
Adrian Benepe, New York's Parks Commissioner, say, "Society bears a big cost when people are not in shape or if they become ill. there are some very practical reasons for encouraging people to get exercise at parks for free."
With a grin, Edwards says the gym is a godsend, " We let the world run out time, you have to take some time for yourself and that is what this place is all about. It's what I love about this place. I get to steal my time."
Acheampon says, "This is one of the best things ever. Definitely should have more of them."
And there will be more of them. At least 20 more outdoor gyms are being planned for all around the Big Apple.
- Men's Wearhouse ousts founder, pitchman Zimmer 57 min ago
- A Nice Stretch
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Computer outage delays travelers at Phila. Airport 20 min ago
- Wilmington boy reported missing found safe 32 min ago
- Traffic stop turns violent, police shoot suspect
- Friends mourn NJ doctor killed in murder-suicide
- Public hearing underway on city demo procedures 9 min ago
- Maple syrup used to vandalize Pottstown church
- Award-winning journalist Michael Hastings dies
- Death investigation leads police to home of Patriots TE
- FBI hunt for ex-Teamster boss Hoffa's remains ends
- Rollings Stones review: How old is too old? 11 min ago