Exercise might lower breast cancer risk for some
June 25, 2012 -- In addition to keeping hearts healthy and bones strong, there's another reason why women may want to exercise regularly -- a new study published in the journal Cancer found a link between physical activity and reduced breast cancer risk.
A study of more than 3,000 women from Long Island, N.Y., found that women who engaged in 10 to 19 hours of at least mild exercise per from their reproductive years on had about a 30 percent lower risk of developing breast cancer. The effects of physical activity were strongest among postmenopausal women, based on the data analysis.
The women were between the ages of 20 and 98 who participated in the Long Island Breast Cancer Study Project, a series of government-funded studies conducted to investigate possible environmental contributors to breast cancer on Long Island. The women were also predominantly white and upper middle class.
"We didn't see a risk reduction during the time before the first birth," said lead author Lauren McCullough, a doctoral candidate at the UNC Gillings School of Public Health. "There is a strong association seen with postmenopausal women, which is totally in line with other studies."
breast cancer, exercise, healthcheck
- Snow today, heavy at times 26 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Pictures from the winter storm 33 min ago
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps 18 min ago
- Pa. Lottery experiencing outages due to weather
- Video: David Henry's noon report from Rittenhouse... 57 min ago
- Video: Katherine Scott's noon report from Delaware 59 min ago
- Video: John Rawlins' noon report from E. Norriton 59 min ago
- Video: Nora Muchanic's noon report from Trenton
- Video: Annie McCormick in Mobile 6 on I-76
- 2 corrections officers hurt in Concord Twp. crash
- Arrest made in Beats headphone murder
- Snow today, heavy at times
26 min ago
- David Henry's noon report from Rittenhouse...
57 min ago
- Katherine Scott's noon report from Delaware
59 min ago