Helping elderly relatives during heat wave
July 6, 2012 (WPVI) -- When extremely warm temperatures during a heat wave are upon us, certain people are especially at risk.
Children, those with medical conditions, people who work outside and the elderly - all face a greater danger.
89-year-oldn Louis Turner lives with his son but spends most of the day home alone.
Up until this week, he was without an air-conditioner. Originally from Georgia, he says he doesn't mind the heat.
He has a heart condition and like many people with health problems the heat can be deadly.
Turner's home hospice nurse Erica Gravina says his home was oppressively hot and it was affecting his breathing.
"He can suddenly go bad, he is in a fragile state. He can become dehydrated or into congestive heart failure due to the overexertion of the heart in the heat," said Gravina.
Due to the risk, Gravina checks on Turner and her other patients more frequently.
Compassionate Care Hospice helped him get an air-conditioner which has proved to be vital.
"He is breathing better, his lungs are clear and he looks more comfortable. That's what we want for all our hospice patients,"said ???
Turner's family and friends are also checking on him. Health experts say if you have an elderly neighbor yourself that you should do the same.
Some early signs of trouble are fatigue, loss of appetite, feeling light-headed and nausea.
It is strongly suggested to drink water slowly, use a cool compress to cool down, and to stay in a place with air-conditioning.
If symptoms get worse or confusion or vomitting persists, then call 9-1-1 immediately.
heat wave, healthcheck, ali gorman, r.n.
- NE Phila. couple stabbed at home, son arrested
- Windy And Cool
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- 3 children rescued in SW Phila. house fire
- Knife-wielding man shot, killed in Oxford Circle
- Philadelphia man arrested for firing shots at police
- Fire forces evacuation of N. Phila. high-rise apt.
- French soldier stabbed in throat outside Paris
- Angel Flight crashes in NY, 2 killed, 1 missing
- Dozens rescued from flooded San Antonio area 22 min ago
- Quick, long-term fixes in works for Washington bridge 57 min ago
- NJ man claims share of $198M Mega Millions jackpot
- Cold start to 1st summer after Sandy at Jersey Shore 46 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos