Checkups for a healthy start to school
PHILADELPHIA- August 8, 2012 (WPVI) -- It's time to begin getting ready for school. Along with getting school supplies, parents have a medical "to-do" list - for checkups, the eye doctor, and dentist.
5-year-old Tayvon Robinson loves to learn, and as he thinks about starting kindergarten this year, he's -
But before he can start, he's getting a physical. It will include a general assessment, and also some vaccinations, to help prevent preventable diseases.
"Make sure he's safe with that- that's the main priority, because there is a lot going on in school," says Nurse Practitioner Gail Partridge to Tayvon's mother.
There is a special emphasis on the pertussis or whooping cough vaccine this year, because the CDC reports a spike in the number of cases. In fact, it could reach record levels.
Tayvon got his 5th dose of the vaccine today, and he took his shots like a champ.
Older kids will also need a booster of pertussis vaccine called a Tdap at age 11.
Partridge says make sure your child didn't miss it.
"When your child comes in if they have not had a physical in a few years and you think oh they're 14, they need to come in, they might have missed their TDap," she says.
She says another important part of the physical is to assess nutrition and exercise to help prevent childhood obesity.
"All health care providers are taking such a more proactive approach to this," she notes.
Education early can help form healthy habits and prevent obesity-related diseases later in life.
Another reminder - if your child takes any medication, there are special school forms their provider will have to fill out to keep on file at school.
And if they use inhalers for asthma, you should ask their healthcare provider for 2- one for school, to keep with them or the nurse, and a second one to keep at home.
- Viewer takes photos of bear in back yard 42 min ago
- A Nice Stretch 46 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Robbery suspect on the loose in Lower Merion 14 min ago
- Men's Wearhouse ousts founder, pitchman Zimmer
- 20 people charged in Ocean Co. heroin raids
- 15 charged in NJ unemployment fraud case
- Computer outage delays travelers at Phila. Airport
- Father, son 'pimps' acquitted after prostitutes testify
- Suspect robs Philadelphia Dunkin' Donuts at gunpoint
- Dolce and Gabbana convicted of tax evasion
- Philly deputy mayor: City not liable for demo sites
- Rollings Stones review: How old is too old?