Bucks Co. woman latest West Nile virus case
HARRISBURG, PA.; August 19, 2012 (WPVI) -- Southeastern Pa. is becoming a hot spot for human cases of West Nile virus
Pennsylvania's West Nile Control program says a woman from Bucks County has become the 8th person in the state infected with the mosquito-borne disease.
And 5 of those human cases are in eastern-southeastern Pa. 2 are in Delaware County, 1 in Lehigh, 1 in Bucks, and 1 in Lancaster counties.
Insect experts say a mild winter followed by the hot summer are ideal for growth of mosquitoes, and especially the breeds which carry West Nile virus.
In addition to the human cases, a number of mosquitoes caught in local traps also tested positive.
For the latest information from the state, go to: Pa. West Nile Control Program.
Mosquito control crews will be spraying in the following areas this week, weather permitting:
*Monday, Aug. 20: Bucks Co. - portions of Falls Township. Rain date, Tuesday, Aug. 21
*Tuesday, Aug. 21: Delaware Co. -of Tuesday, Aug. 21, portions of Sharon Hill, Collingdale, Yeadon and Darby boroughs and Darby Township. Rain date, Wednesday, Aug. 22.
*Tuesday, Aug. 21: in West Chester Borough, West Goshen Township, and East Bradford Township. The area is between West Miner St (Rte 842) to the north, Birmingham Rd to the west, South New St to the east and Tigue Rd to the south. Rain date, Wednesday, Aug. 22. Residents are urged to stay indoors and close windows during treatment for approximately one hour after spraying is complete.
August and September are the peak times for West Nile virus. People are urged to "Fight The Bite," to prevent mosquito bites.
*Avoid going out at dawn or dusk when mosquitoes are most active.
*Consider wearing long-sleeved shirt, long pants, and socks if you are outdoors at that time, or in areas with large numbers of mosquitoes.
*Use an effective inset repellent, such as ones containing DEET, picaridin, or oil of lemon eucalyptus.
*Get rid of any standing water. Mosquitoes need only 1/4 inch of water to breed.
*Make sure screens on windows and doors fit tightly.
pennsylvania, bucks county, chester county, delaware county, west nile virus, healthcheck
- Montco DA: Drug ring targeted schools; 8 arrested 1 min ago
- Sunny today, more clouds tomorrow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Skydiver in fatal South Jersey accident ID'd 34 min ago
- Woman's body found in Pa. excavation storage site 5 min ago
- Medical chopper called to crash on Route 55 27 min ago
- Jogger helps rescue man from Schuylkill River 57 min ago
- Photos: Pictures from NJ skydiving accident
- Boston Marathon to be under tight security
- SKorean president: Ferry crew actions 'murderous' 8 min ago
- Surveillance expected from Target heist
- Teen stowaway survives flight in landing gear
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!
- Skydiver in fatal South Jersey accident ID'd
34 min ago