Bucks Co. woman latest West Nile virus case
HARRISBURG, PA.; August 19, 2012 (WPVI) -- Southeastern Pa. is becoming a hot spot for human cases of West Nile virus
Pennsylvania's West Nile Control program says a woman from Bucks County has become the 8th person in the state infected with the mosquito-borne disease.
And 5 of those human cases are in eastern-southeastern Pa. 2 are in Delaware County, 1 in Lehigh, 1 in Bucks, and 1 in Lancaster counties.
Insect experts say a mild winter followed by the hot summer are ideal for growth of mosquitoes, and especially the breeds which carry West Nile virus.
In addition to the human cases, a number of mosquitoes caught in local traps also tested positive.
For the latest information from the state, go to: Pa. West Nile Control Program.
Mosquito control crews will be spraying in the following areas this week, weather permitting:
*Monday, Aug. 20: Bucks Co. - portions of Falls Township. Rain date, Tuesday, Aug. 21
*Tuesday, Aug. 21: Delaware Co. -of Tuesday, Aug. 21, portions of Sharon Hill, Collingdale, Yeadon and Darby boroughs and Darby Township. Rain date, Wednesday, Aug. 22.
*Tuesday, Aug. 21: in West Chester Borough, West Goshen Township, and East Bradford Township. The area is between West Miner St (Rte 842) to the north, Birmingham Rd to the west, South New St to the east and Tigue Rd to the south. Rain date, Wednesday, Aug. 22. Residents are urged to stay indoors and close windows during treatment for approximately one hour after spraying is complete.
August and September are the peak times for West Nile virus. People are urged to "Fight The Bite," to prevent mosquito bites.
*Avoid going out at dawn or dusk when mosquitoes are most active.
*Consider wearing long-sleeved shirt, long pants, and socks if you are outdoors at that time, or in areas with large numbers of mosquitoes.
*Use an effective inset repellent, such as ones containing DEET, picaridin, or oil of lemon eucalyptus.
*Get rid of any standing water. Mosquitoes need only 1/4 inch of water to breed.
*Make sure screens on windows and doors fit tightly.
pennsylvania, bucks county, chester county, delaware county, west nile virus, healthcheck
- 3 injured in Coatesville industrial accident 31 min ago
- Lots of clouds, damp today 1 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Police shoot man in Brewerytown 16 min ago
- Chesco man accused of sex assault on 2 young boys 41 min ago
- I-5 bridge collapses into Washington river
- Woman convicted in fiance's wedding day death
- Boy Scouts approve plan to accept openly gay boys
- 8 charged in $14M drug operation in SE Pa.
- Missing Skippack student found in North Carolina
- NJ: Caramel-colored rubbing alcohol sold as scotch
- Chase Utley out 2-4 weeks with oblique strain
- Obama to tour Jersey Shore with Gov. Christie
- Police shoot man in Brewerytown
16 min ago