Healthcheck: Tobacco warnings, West Nile Virus symptoms
August 24, 2012 (WPVI) -- In a U.S. Appeals Court ruling, tobacco companies won't have to place new warning labels on cigarette packs.
If you remember, the FDA came up with nine graphic images that warn against the dangers of smoking. The agency wanted the warnings placed on cigarette packaging starting in September.
The hope was that the warnings would help prevent young adults from picking up the habit and persuade smokers to quit.
On Friday a U.S. Appeals court ruled that forcing tobacco companies to use the labels infringes on their freedom of speech.
Some tobacco companies involved in the lawsuit claimed the warnings went beyond the facts. They also argued the warnings were more about anti-smoking, while the government argued the photos of dying smokers are factual.
In other news, there are new additions to the rising number of West Nile Virus cases.
There are now more than 1,100 cases nationwide. Most are in Southern states but mosquito control has tracked positive mosquitoes in our area and are spraying high risk areas.
Residents area also asked to get rid of standing water and use insect repellent.
Many people are asking on Facebook, what are the symptoms of West Nile Virus and what they should look for.
Symptoms can show up within days to a few weeks after a bite from an infected mosquito so there is a big window of time.
The good news is most cases - about 80 percent will have no symptoms. Your body will fight off the virus and you won't get sick.
About 19 percent of people will have mild symptoms including headaches, nausea, fever and a rash. These symptoms can usually be treated at home.
Only about 1 percent of people will get the severe infection where the virus goes to the brain or spinal cord. Symptoms here could include confusion, stiff neck, high fever, weakness, convulsions, or paralysis.
Those are all signs you need to get the doctor right away.
smoking, healthcheck, ali gorman, r.n.
- Video shows assault rifle shooting at strip club 1 min ago
- Warm and humid, 80s again today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Philadelphia cop accused of ripping off drug dealers 11 min ago
- Police ID victim in water ice stand homicide 9 min ago
- SW Phila. shootings possibly connected to bar fight
- Hats get women ejected from KoP Mall
- Report: FBI agent fatally shoots Tsarnaev associate 13 min ago
- D.A.: Girlfriend's murder in Chesco 'an execution'
- Okla. residents come home to pick up the pieces 14 min ago
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Sleep monitors promise a better night's sleep
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Video shows assault rifle shooting at strip...
1 min ago
- Police ID victim in water ice stand homicide
9 min ago