Happy and healthy kid lunches
PHILADELPHIA - Augsut 29, 2012 (WPVI) -- If you make your child's lunch for school, we have some new ways to keep kids happy and healthy.
Anna Florio is the chef at La Cucina inside the Reading Terminal market.
She says when it comes to school lunches, you want to make it healthy, but also appealing to kids.
"Because even though they are kids, they are still attracted by colors and shapes," Florio said.
So you want to include fresh fruit, cut up or kid-sized.
And you want to pack some protein.
Florio suggests peanut butter and jelly on a whole wheat baguette cut into bite-size pieces or you can make a wrap with leftovers.
And once you roll it up, it's easy for kids to hold and eat.
For drinks, she likes water flavored with a lemon or orange.
"You could very easily make a pitcher of this and put it in a thermos or put it in a bottle," Florio said.
Florio also says you don't want to overload kids with food.
They need enough to give them a boost of energy.
But if they have too much food or too much sugar, it could leave them feeling sluggish.
healthcheck, ali gorman, r.n.
- Armored car robbed outside bank in Tacony 46 min ago
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today 31 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police investigate serious crash in Levittown 29 min ago
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- Photos: Pictures from Del. River minivan plunge
- Popular chocolate maker shut down by city
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Rottweiler puppy poisoned in NJ
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Video: Parents outraged by faked kidnapping
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today
31 min ago