Chamomile studied as anxiety remedy
PHILADELPHIA, PA.; Oct. 08, 2012 (WPVI) -- A long-time herbal remedy known for its soothing qualities is being studied as a serious solution for anxiety.
Dr. Jun Mao of Penn Medicine is leading research on chamomile - Not the chamomile tea you might be familiar with, but high-dose capsules.
Each dose has 1500 milligrams of chamomile, roughly the equivalent of 8 cups of tea.
Dr. Mao wants to find out if the herb could be a long-term remedy for a mental health disorder that is hard to treat.
"Generalized anxiety disorder is one of those mental health issues that is chronic. And even for people who are successfully treated, there's a high rate of relapse, meaning people, when they're staying on one drug for a while, they go back. The drug is no longer effective," says Dr. Mao.
In addition, many medications have side effects patients struggle with.
"Like libido, sleep issue, weight gain. And all those things lead to not perfect adherence and stopping the medications," adds Dr. Mao.
In the 38-week trial, everyone will get chamomile for the first 8 weeks. Then, they'll either continue on the herbal capsules, or get a placebo.
"I think this, if found effective, could be a very attractice potential alternative to the current medical treatments.
For more information on the study, call 215-662-3462, or go to Penn Medicine Research Trials.
- Photos: 24 wanted in Phila. insurance fraud scheme
- Mostly sunny, very windy today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pizza deliveryman ID'd in police shooting 59 min ago
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say 45 min ago
- Police ID man found dead in Centreville driveway 35 min ago
- Wildfire risk prompts Red Flag Warning for NJ 20 min ago
- Road reopens months after Frankford water main break 50 min ago
- Man shot multiple times in West Philadelphia 35 min ago
- Fmr. Devon Prep teacher faces child porn charges
- Woman charged in NJ man's overdose death
- New 'object of interest' in missing jet hunt
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say
45 min ago
- Pizza deliveryman ID'd in police shooting
59 min ago