Spreading awareness about breast reconstruction
October 12, 2012 (WPVI) -- It may be a taboo topic in some circles, but doctors are launching a campaign to help breast cancer patients know their options when it comes to reconstruction.
And now a popular musician is lending her support.
Singer/songwriter Jewel appeared on ABC's 'The View' Friday, helping spread the word about National Breast Reconstruction Awareness Day, or BRA Day, being observed on October 17th.
"It's important to be informed and as women we have to be our own advocates," she said.
BRA Day is a campaign started by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. They want to make sure all women know their options for breast reconstruction after cancer surgery.
A few states, including Pennsylvania, have laws requiring women be shown their options. But according to a survey, 7 out of 10 women nationwide aren't getting the information.
"I see a great number of patients who come in and say, 'I wish I had known beforehand. I wish I could turn the clock back,'" said Dr. Frank Della Croce of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.
Jewel has recorded public service announcements and will be doing a charity concert. She has also written a special song to help raise money for the campaign.
"I'm continually amazed at how resilient women are," she said, "and how, when faced with a difficult position, they find the courage to say, 'I am going to fight on, and I'm even going to be better.'"
As part of the campaign, some women who've had mastectomies and reconstruction are sharing their results with other patients.
"I felt it was very, very important to share that experience with other women, because I didn't want them just to have to look at a photo," said survivor Kim Sport.
If you download Jewel's song, the proceeds go to the Breast Reconstruction Awareness fund.
You can find it at bradayusa.org.
health care, healthcheck, ali gorman, r.n.
- Snow/ Sleet Arriving
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Sign up for Facebook Flash!
- Photos: Wintry weather forecast maps
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95 33 min ago
- Police: Son of PHA employee charged with DUI
- Body found in Logan tire fire
- East Oak Lane apartment fire under control 14 min ago
- $10K reward in murder of Chester gas station owner
- South Africans hold day of prayer for Mandela
- Police: Pa. newlyweds killed man from Craigslist
- NJ officers play Santa for 'Shop with a Cop'
- Susan Boyle says Asperger's diagnosis was a relief
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
33 min ago