4 more possible cases of meningitis in NJ
TRENTON - October 12, 2012 (WPVI) -- New Jersey health officials have linked four more possible fungal meningitis cases to a nationwide outbreak caused by a potentially tainted medication.
The probable new cases announced Saturday would bring the total in the state to eight.
Among the four new cases, two are women from Salem County. One is a 37-year-old who received a steroid injection Sept. 20, while the other is a 33-year-old who got her injection July 25.
The two other new patients are a 77-year-old Atlantic County woman who received a steroid injection Aug. 22, and a 64-year-old Cumberland County man who got his injection Sept. 6.
The patients in the four other cases are all Cumberland County residents. Overall, seven of the patients remained hospitalized Saturday, while the other person was being treated as an outpatient.
Health officials say more than 600 patients in New Jersey received the steroid injection at six facilities across the state between May 21 and September 26, and nearly all of them have been notified that they may be at risk for contracting the illness.
However, it's possible that some of these people may have meningitis but not know it yet because symptoms - which include fever, headaches, neck stiffness and sensitivity to light or swelling - will usually take anywhere from one to four weeks to develop after they receive a tainted injection.
Nationwide, the drug sold by a Massachusetts-based pharmacy has been linked to 15 deaths and nearly 200 illnesses.
meningitis, new jersey, healthcheck
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought 37 min ago
- Tracking Weekend Storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- OSHA investigates lead exposure at Oxford Mills 38 min ago
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- No death penalty for man charged in wife death
- 2 injured in Vineland school bus crash
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering
- Berks Co. police chief faces child porn charges
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in Poconos
- Woman admits to stealing packages from Delco homes
- 800K in danger of ID theft after laptop theft
- North Korea executes Kim Jong Un's uncle 2 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos