Making Strides Against Breast Cancer - 6at4
October 19, 2012 (WPVI) -- Saturday, thousands will lace up their sneakers for the American Cancer Society's Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walk and run in Fairmount Park.
HealthCheck reporter and registered nurse Ali Gorman introduces us to a survivor walking with a huge team of supporters.
Paula Morris comes from a very large, close-knit clan with family gatherings nearly every weekend. When Paula was diagnosed with breast cancer 4 years ago, losing her family is what she feared most.
Fortunately for Paula, her cancer was caught early, during her routine annual mammogram. She was cured with surgery. Then she started doing what she does best-- organizing by bringing friends and family together to walk in the American Cancer Society's Making Strides event.
She's dubbed her team 'Save the Olives.'
"The 'Olives' are the people I love. So, save the Olives!"
Every year it grows. This year, she has nearly 50 walkers including her 15-year-old daughter's entire field hockey team.
For Paula, the walk is intensely emotional; a day to hear the stories of countless other women.
"It's really tough. It's really hard when they take the big survivor picture up on those steps," Paula told us.
Plus, it's a chance to raise money and awareness to give her battle with the disease meaning.
"I just want to be a part of that. That's why I think I'm here."
The Making Strides Walk and Run is Saturday morning, October 20th, starting at 8 a.m. from Memorial Hall in Fairmount Park.
Paula and her whole team will be there. I'll be there as well and hope you can join us.
breast cancer, cancer, beating the odds, 6at4, healthcheck, ali gorman, r.n.
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought
- Cold today, Saturday looks snowy 1 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police shoot at suspected carjacker in SW Philadelphia 22 min ago
- OSHA investigates lead exposure at Oxford Mills
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- No death penalty for man charged in wife death
- 2 injured in Vineland school bus crash
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering
- Berks Co. police chief faces child porn charges
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in Poconos
- Woman admits to stealing packages from Delco homes
- 800K in danger of ID theft after laptop theft
- Cold today, Saturday looks snowy
1 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos