Making Strides Against Breast Cancer - 6at4
October 19, 2012 (WPVI) -- Saturday, thousands will lace up their sneakers for the American Cancer Society's Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walk and run in Fairmount Park.
HealthCheck reporter and registered nurse Ali Gorman introduces us to a survivor walking with a huge team of supporters.
Paula Morris comes from a very large, close-knit clan with family gatherings nearly every weekend. When Paula was diagnosed with breast cancer 4 years ago, losing her family is what she feared most.
Fortunately for Paula, her cancer was caught early, during her routine annual mammogram. She was cured with surgery. Then she started doing what she does best-- organizing by bringing friends and family together to walk in the American Cancer Society's Making Strides event.
She's dubbed her team 'Save the Olives.'
"The 'Olives' are the people I love. So, save the Olives!"
Every year it grows. This year, she has nearly 50 walkers including her 15-year-old daughter's entire field hockey team.
For Paula, the walk is intensely emotional; a day to hear the stories of countless other women.
"It's really tough. It's really hard when they take the big survivor picture up on those steps," Paula told us.
Plus, it's a chance to raise money and awareness to give her battle with the disease meaning.
"I just want to be a part of that. That's why I think I'm here."
The Making Strides Walk and Run is Saturday morning, October 20th, starting at 8 a.m. from Memorial Hall in Fairmount Park.
Paula and her whole team will be there. I'll be there as well and hope you can join us.
breast cancer, cancer, beating the odds, 6at4, healthcheck, ali gorman, r.n.
- Photos: 6 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del. 14 min ago
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days 26 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- Photos: Pictures from the finger-bite mall attack
- Investigators chase 'every angle' in missing jet 22 min ago
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run 24 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Court won't hear dispute over 'boobies' bracelets 27 min ago
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- Pfizer recalls antidepressant Effexor 15 min ago
- Are store credit cards worth the discount? 55 min ago
- Video: 85-year-old grandma outsmarts robber