Separation surgery successful for conjoined twins
PHILADELPHIA - November 8, 2012 (WPVI) -- A pair of conjoined twins is doing well Thursday night, 24 hours after being after being successfully separated at Children's Hospital.
The twins are now recovering in the infant intensive care unit, and for the first time in their young lives, they are in separate beds.
A team of 40 doctors, nurses and other staff worked for about 7 hours inside the operating room at Children's Hospital Wednesday to separate conjoined twins Amelia and Allison Tucker.
The twins are now 8-months-old.
It has been an emotional roller coaster for the family which includes big brother Owen.
An ultrasound at 20 weeks first revealed the babies were joined at the lower chest and abdomen. They shared a liver, diaphragm and the sac around their individual hearts.
But doctors at CHOP were optimistic. They have been planning the separation surgery almost since before the twins were born. And now that it is over and was a successful surgery, everyone can breathe a sigh of relief.
The girls' mother wrote on CaringBridge.org, "Today it is a time to celebrate, to be thankful, to appreciate, to praise, and to enjoy this weight lifted off our shoulders."
Shellie Tucker also said the "surgery went better than expected."
She thanked everyone who prayed and supported her family.
"These girls are going to do big things in life!" she said.
The twins still have a long recovery ahead of them, and they will be closely followed by developmental specialists, nutrition specialists and other experts for a while.
But the family is hoping to have them home in time for Christmas.
So far, they have spent their entire lives inside the Children's Hospital.
childrens hospital of philadelphia, children, philadelphia, healthcheck, ali gorman, r.n.
- 3 frigid days, another weekend storm 13 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- Cab driver carjacked in South Philadelphia 22 min ago
- PennDOT clears roads of snow, preps for ice
- Limo driver charged in wreck that killed newlyweds
- Police search for burglar targeting Philly restaurants
- Police: Mom was DUI in chain-reaction crash
- Possible abduction caught on camera in Spring Garden
- No bail for 2 charged in Philly collapse
- Obama hails Mandela as "last great liberator"
- 6 missing adults, children found alive in Nevada
- Photos: Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013 (Photos)
- 3 frigid days, another weekend storm
13 min ago