Smokeout rallies smokers to break the habit
WASHINGTON, D.C.; November 15, 2012 (WPVI) -- Today is the 37th annual "Great American Smokeout." It's when the American Cancer Society hopes smokers will make a plan to quit, or stop - at least for one day.
This year's theme is "Everyone Loves Quitters."
And now, there are more ways than ever to quit - 7 drugs have government approval.
But while medication is important, adding in counseling dramatically raises the chances for success.
In fact, the best way to quit is a combination of medication and counseling.
We know, it is not easy. The average smoker tries quitting 3 to 5 times before he or she stops. But it's worth the effort.
Thomas Glynn, of the American Cancer Society, says, "Never give up, because it's going to add 10 years to your life. It's going to save you a lot of money and it's going to enable you to play with your children and grandchildren."
The benefits of quitting start mounting almost immediately.
"Within 12 hours, your blood pressure is down, you blood will flow more freely. You can breath more easily," says Glynn.
After 3 months, your risk of 15 different smoking-related cancers drops.
And the benefits continue adding up.
"A lot of smokers they describe it as, 'I just feel better. I can taste my food, I can climb stairs,' he says.
And at one year, you are half as likely to develop heart disease, and much less likely to go back to smoking.
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket 37 min ago
- Turning Milder
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Video captures Laundromat robbery
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty
- Arsonist tries to torch atheist billboard in NJ
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students
- On video: Armed robber fails after KFC workers flee
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos