FDA: 5-hour Energy tied to 13 deaths
WASHINGTON, D.C. - November 14, 2012 (WPVI) -- The Food & Drug Administration has received 13 reports in recent years of deaths that cited the popular 5-hour Energy shots
The shots are highly caffeinated. The company won't disclose the exact amount, but Consumer Reports recently said they contain about 215 milligrams of caffeine.
An average cup of coffee can have from 80 to 150 milligrams, depending how it's made.
In the past four years, the FDA has received 90 complaints mentioning 5-hour Energy.
Nearly three dozen of them mentioned serious or life-threatening situations, such as heart attacks or convulsions.
Living Essentials, the distributor of 5-hour Energy, has maintained its products are safe when used as directed.
The report comes just a few weeks after the FDA said it was investigating five deaths mentioning Monster Energy, another popular energy drink.
Last year, the federal Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration said there were more than 13,000 emergency room visits tied to energy drinks.
New York's Attorney General is investigating the producers of several high-caffeine energy drinks.
Some of the "energy boosters" are sold as beverages, while others are sold as dietary supplements, complicating FDA oversight of them.
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd 25 min ago
- Easter Sunshine Sunday 16 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 10 more bodies found inside South Korean ferry 15 min ago
- No cause yet in 7-alarm Sea Isle City fire 25 min ago
- It's a boy - again for Jamie Apody! 17 min ago
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Stabbing at Hamilton Mall in Mays Landing 25 min ago
- Woman's body found in Berks County
- Prescription drug ring busted at Aria-Torresdale Hospital 25 min ago
- NJ woman: Dog and TV stolen on 1st date
- Brush fire destroys 25 acres in Burlington Co. 2 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
25 min ago
- No cause yet in 7-alarm Sea Isle City fire
25 min ago
- Stabbing at Hamilton Mall in Mays Landing
25 min ago
- It's a boy - again for Jamie Apody!
17 min ago