Kate's condition more than "morning sickness"
PHILADELPHIA, PA.; December 3, 2012 (WPVI) -- The Duchess of Cambridge has been a trendsetter, and in announcing her pregnancy, is raising awarness for a serious medical condition
Hyperemesis gravidarum, or HG, is more than queasiness, and happens to about 2 per cent of pregnant women.
It usually appears about 5 to 7 weeks into the pregnancy, and can last up to delivery, though most of the time, the symptoms wane by 16 to 20 weeks in.
The severe nausea and vomiting can lead to excessive weight loss, dehydration, and abnormal levels of potassium or sodium.
At first, doctors usually recommend avoiding foods or smells which trigger the nausea. A modified diet, with smaller, more frequent meals, and more bland foods, such as bread, rice, and apples, is recommended.
Ginger and Vitamin B6 can sometimes reduce the vomiting, along with antihistamines like doxylamine.
Women can be admitted to the hospital when they can't keep their fluid levels up. There, they will receive I-V fluids and anti-nausea medications like those given to chemotherapy patients.
No one knows what causes HG, but it occurs more in women expecting twins, those who have had nausea with birth control pills, or those women with a history of acid reflux.
The Hyperemesis Education and Research Foundation (HER) has been working to raise awareness of HG, and to get lawmakers and the medical community to take HG serious and find better treatments. For more informantion, log onto: www.helpher.org.
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Warmer Weekend 25 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- SEPTA spreads holiday cheer with toy drive
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- Fmr. Montco GOP chairman to stand trial for rape 27 min ago
- Pa. Turnpike reopens after multi-vehicle crash
- Dealer charged with selling Sandy damaged cars 11 min ago
- Bishop McDevitt HS student robbed at gunpoint
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ 43 min ago
- Gov. Christie signs immigrant tuition bill
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport 19 min ago
- Warmer Weekend
25 min ago
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
43 min ago