Kiki's wish: Girl spreads happiness after cancer death
WILMINGTON - Dec. 4, 2012 (WPVI) -- The legacy of a local girl who lost her battle with cancer lived on today, spreading joy at duPont Hospital for Children.
You may remember Kiki Bowley. She was the 12-year-old girl from Williamstown, New Jersey who got to meet Justin Bieber thanks to the charity FriendsAreByYourSide.com.
Sadly, she lost her battle with kidney cancer shortly after the concert, but before she died she had one more wish - to collect toys for kids in the hospital. Today, that wish was fulfilled.
Box after box was unloaded off a 32-foot tractor trailer at Nemour's duPont Hospital for Children. The boxes, full of toys, were all signed, "Love, Kiki."
They're for the little girls and boys in the hospital, like 4 year-old Danny Feltwell who got a big wheel and trucks. He's fighting a rare and aggressive cancer.
Martino Cartier, the founder of FriendsAreByYourSide.com helped Kiki start this collection.
He says it started small, but quickly grew larger than anyone expected - 4,200 toys. He says it's just the way Kiki would want it.
"She was always go big or go home and I think she would be speechless for once," Cartier says.
Kiki lost her battle with cancer a week after the Justin Bieber concert just as toy donations started coming in.
Her mother is still in mourning.
"It's really, really hard; I miss her so much and I wish she was here to see this," says Terri Fox.
But Terri and Kiki's best friend Arden Ammirato says seeing the smiles on kids' faces today make them feel a little better, knowing Kiki's wish is coming true.
"This really is Kiki's last dream come true and for it to touch this many people it's amazing," says Terri.
They delivered some of the toys today. Others will be given Christmas Eve when Santa Claus will also pay a visit.
Kiki's mother says they are hoping to make this toy collection an annual tradition.
- Drexel student found dead in sorority house 44 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run 40 min ago
- Iranian teen had stolen passport on missing jet
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Video: Dad ditches son's stroller to catch baseball
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos