'Orange Theory Fitness' maximizes your workout
WILLOW GROVE, Pa. - December 21, 2012 (WPVI) -- A new fitness craze has made its way up to the Delaware Valley.
"Orange Theory Fitness" started in Florida and has now come to Willow Grove.
In an Orange-lit room, participants started on the treadmill running cardio intervals that go up and down in intensity.
Everyone is wearing a cardiac heart rate monitor, with your results displayed on a screen.
As the workout gets harder the goal is to get into your orange zone, that means your heart is pumping at a 80% of your maximum heart rate. That is when you're burning the most fat.
"During the class the average person can burn 500 to 900 calories just during the workout," said Adrienne Gerhard.
And if you're in the orange zone for 12 to 20 minutes, you will continue burning calories even after you stop.
Throughout the class you can monitor how hard you are working just by looking at the monitors. They will tell you if you are working too hard or not hard enough.
"You can judge where you need to be if you need to go a little faster or slow down," said Chrissy O'Malley.
The 60- minute class also incorporates rowing and weight training; hitting all the body parts with all different equipment.
"I have kettlebells, I have ab dollies, I have SPT bands, stuff you don't normally get at one location," said Jenn Stocklos.
And at the end of the workout, you will see a graphic letting you know how long you stayed in the orange zone and whether you were getting the most out of your workout.
The studio officially opens January 2nd, but from now until then classes are free!
exercise, pennsylvania, healthcheck, ali gorman, r.n.
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit, run 41 min ago
- Tracking St. Patty's Day Snow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for jet widens
- Elderly woman crashes into Toms River law ofc.
- Bucks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas
- Delaware Co. mother seeks help finding son's killer
- Minn. man pulls police officer from burning car
- Delaware man charged with 12th DUI
- Del. trooper charged with stalking, harassment
- Community relief for victims of Ewing Twp. explosion
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit,...
41 min ago