6 Ways to make your breakfast better
January 3, 2013 (WPVI) -- It's still early in the year. You eat breakfast early in the day. So we tracked down som ways to help you make breakfast better. Seemed like good timing.
1. Add some more protein to your first meal: Research shows this is important, especially if you're trying to lose weight, for two reasons. First, having more protein will help you feel fuller than just a breakfast with carbohydrates (like a bagel or toast), and other studies have shown that eating more protein increases your metabolism more, which will help you lose weight.
2. Plan ahead and start it the night before: If you don't' have time to whip something up in the morning, use your slow cooker for meals like this slow cooker overnight oatmeal. Or, you can also get your breakfast ready the night before, if you're packing your kids' school lunches.
3. Swap out your coffee for tea instead: Coffee is much more acidic than tea... and too much can sometimes lead to a queasy feeling or even a stomach ache. Tea can still give you a jolt of caffeine and certain types of tea, like green tea, can boost your metabolism and help toward losing weight.
4. Don't be afraid of vegetables for breakfast: Vegetables have a great deal of nutrients and contain few calories. The ideas for getting vegetables into your breakfast range from the very simple to more involved. You can just add a slice of tomato to your bagel and cream cheese or add some salsa to eggs... or get more involved with Carrot Zucchini Muffins.
5. Reduce the amount of fat in your milk: Take your milk down a notch by trying 2% or 1%, whatever is a step below what you currently drink. Then, if it agrees with you, drop down to the next level after a time... and if you don't like it, you can go back up a level.
6. Don't skip!: If you're too busy, you should still find a way to eat some healthy foods in small portions. Skipping breakfast will actually work against you if you are trying to lose weight because you actually it more the rest of the day. Often, the foods you pick when you're extra hungry the rest of the day will be more hunger-driven choices and not necessarily good for you.
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall 49 min ago
- Sunny and chilly 46 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat 48 min ago
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester 8 min ago
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino 50 min ago
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Sunny and chilly
46 min ago
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
48 min ago