Toothbrush helps you brush longer, better, and win reward
PHILADELPHIA - January 7, 2013 (WPVI) -- How long do you brush your teeth? Chances are it's not long enough, or often enough. Now there's a toothbrush to help you do better.
The Beam brush has electronic sensors embedded in the handle.
When you brush, it keeps track of the time and frequency.
Dr. Leonard Tau of the Philadelphia Center For Dental Excellence, in Northeast Philadelphia says with a free app, it will sync with your smartphone, and can send that info to your dentist.
Dr. Tau says other features also motivate you to brush longer.
"There's a timer in there, and you can hit the timer, and it will play during the whole time that you're brushing," he says.
"You can pull the songs off your iTunes library and play anything you want," he continues.
Users get points for their brushing time, which can be redeemed for rewards.
If that's not enough, Beam also tells you when it's time to change your toothbrush.
Mary Carelli of Northeast Philadelphia says it felt very light, and handled like a regular toothbrush.
She thinks that, and the music, will help her special needs daughter build better dental habits.
Mary told us, "She would just keep going just to listen to that music, so that would be good for her."
The Beam brush is $49.99 Replacement heads are $3.99.
You can buy it through some dentists, or online from the maker.
- NJ forest fire threatens homes; evacuations ordered 46 min ago
- Sunny, blustery winds today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Forest fire up to 1500 acres in Cumberland Co.
- 1 dead in shooting near Widener University
- Package prompts evacuation in Evesham
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 3 American doctors killed in Afghanistan
- Photos: 23 wanted in Phila. insurance fraud scheme
- Family escapes burning home in Bucks Co.
- Photos: National Pretzel Day Art & Fun Facts
- School stops serving Mountain Dew before tests
- Photos: People's 'Most Beautiful' list of 2014