Barrage of flu vaccine clinics in Camden County
BELLMAWR, N.J. - January 14, 2013 (WPVI) -- The pace has been steady with people arriving to get their flu shots even before the official start time of 3 p.m. Unlike other locations around the area and across the country, Camden County has not seen a surge in cases of influenza.
County health officials say they want to keep it that way. That's what today's flu shot clinic is all about.
Camden County citizens are coming out to get their flu shots here in Bellmawr this evening. They've seen the news reports that the flu is widespread in 47 states including Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Delaware - and decided they can't put off getting the vaccine any longer.
"I work for SEPTA. I deal with the public and I have little ones, said Thomas Shaw of Clementon, "So it's important I get the shot so I don't get them sick."
Last week, New Jersey reported two pediatric deaths resulting from influenza. Camden County doesn't typically give kids flu shots at clinics - but now they're making an exception and kids can get vaccinated too. Layne Gorczynski had her nine- and three-year-olds get shots at this clinic today because their pediatrician had run out.
"Seeing on the news how awful the flu is this year," Layne Gorczynski of Barrington, N.J. said, "I just didn't want to risk my children ending up in the hospital."
As usual, Camden County held flu shot clinics before the holidays. Now, with plenty more of the vaccine on hand, officials decided to schedule a few more clinics to help keep the population healthy.
"With the news nationally, we decided to be a little more proactive and add some clinics this year over the course of the month so our vulnerable people - pregnant women and seniors can come out and get vaccinated," according to Scott McCray, Camden County Freeholder
The clinic at the Bellmawr Regional Health Center on Browing Road goes until 7 p.m. Monday. There are others scheduled this week and next week, and other counties are adding flu shot clinics as well. You can find a complete list by following this link.
camden county, new jersey, flu, healthcheck, sarah bloomquist
- Traffic stop turns violent, police shoot suspect
- A Nice Stretch
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Mourning NJ doctor killed in murder-suicide
- Car carrier crashes into bridge in Whitemarsh Twp.
- Paraplegic man castrated in SW Phila. attack
- Storms bring floods to the Jersey shore
- Video: Incredible footage of wrong-way bus crash
- Police: Girl used in theft at Phila. nail salon
- Tire dumping probe targets Wilmington shop
- Teacher charged again for indecent exposure
- Construction worker killed on way to job
- $325,000 Cash 5 ticket sold in Philadelphia
- First book printed in U.S. on display in...
39 min ago
- 13-year-old driver accused of being drunk
21 min ago