Health Tips: Clearing Congestion
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania February 8, 2013 (WPVI) -- Okay, I realize it may seem a bit ridiculous to tell people how to blow their nose but many people may not be doing it right. Doing it wrong won't necessarily cause damage but it may not be good for you in the long run.
Dr. Mike Benninger, an ear, nose and throat doctor at the Cleveland Clinic, says especially when it is cold and dry outside, you should try to blow your nose when it's moist. So even if you think it's gross, it's actually better to blow your nose while you are in the shower.
Throughout the day, if your nose is dry, you can use lotion. Just make sure it is not scented and it doesn't have any alcohol.
As for blowing your nose really hard, it won't cause damage but Dr. Benninger says there is a small chance it will propel some mucus back into your sinuses, where an infection could start.
Another great way to clear out the passageways is by using an irrigation system such as a Neti Pot or steam from a humidifier. Many of my friends swear by the Neti Pot! But here's a word of caution: If you use a Neti Pot, you should be using either the saline solution that comes with it or distilled water (not tap.)
Happy nose blowing everyone! Here's to clear sinuses!
healthcheck, ali gorman, r.n.
- Bicyclist impaled on fence in Fairmount Park
- Another Beauty
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Actor James Gandolfini dies in Italy at age 51 5 min ago
- Shots fired at man sitting on steps in Point Breeze
- Water main break buckles road in South Philly
- Villanova lockdown over, all suspects in custody
- Boy, 6, hit by car in East Oak Lane
- Photos: Pictures of bear sightings in the area
- Pregnant woman, 2 others shot in N. Phila.
- 20 people charged in Ocean Co. heroin raids
- 15 charged in NJ unemployment fraud case
- Video: Phila. choir shares stage with Rolling Stones
- Actor James Gandolfini dies in Italy at age...
5 min ago
- NJ Gov. Christie is still a Dallas Cowboys...
43 min ago
- Sofitel Philadelphia's garden on the rooftop
45 min ago