Vampire facelift becomes growing cosmetic trend
February 21, 2013 (WPVI) -- There's a new cosmetic trend, sweeping many doctor's offices and it's called a vampire facelift.
"My skin is so loose, it's not smooth anymore," said Claude Azar.
Azar wants to improve the overall look of her face.
"Around my eyes, I look tired, my cheeks look droopy," she said.
When Azar first heard of the vampire facelift, she admits she was a little spooked.
Here's how it works, technicians draw a vial of your blood and it's then spun in a centrifuge.
The spinning separates the platelets from the red blood cells and the plasma. The bottom of the yellow part is the platelet rich plasma or PRP.
However first a doctor injects cosmetic fillers like juvederm and this instantly gives volume.
Then comes the PRP - dozens of injections.
PRP has been used for years in plastic and orthopedic surgery. It's said to help speed healing and prevent bruising.
With the vampire facelift it's said to help rejuvenate the skin and help the fillers last longer.
However plastic surgeon Dr. Steven Davis says there is no clear scientific evidence that it works, especially in a small procedure like the vampire facelift.
"If you look at that patient six months down the road, would you be able to tell they had PRP put in, that's the question and we don't know that yet," said Dr. Davis.
Davis questions if the PRP on top of fillers is worth the extra cost.
However for Azar, she's happy with the instant results of the filler.
"I think it looks better much better," she said.
When it comes to the vampire facelift, the recovery time is minimal however your face may be a bit red which should go away in a few hours.
The effects of the PRP are said to kick-in within four to six weeks.
The procedure is offered at a handful of centers in our area and it cost $1,000 to $2,000, depending on how much work you want done.
special report, healthcheck, ali gorman, r.n.
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit, run 10 min ago
- Breezy And Mild!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance deliberate 5 min ago
- Elderly woman crashes into Toms River law ofc.
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
- Fire forces 11 people from their homes
- Driver crashes SUV into pole in East Falls, DUI suspected
- 3 people injured in Roosevelt Boulevard crash
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Authorities: Chris Brown arrested on warrant
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance...
5 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos