After 3-year wait, boy gets heart-lung transplant
PHILADELPHIA, PA. - March 5, 2013 (WPVI) -- It's a dream come true for a south Jersey family and their little boy. After awaiting a transplant most of his life, at last he had the surgery.
Riley O'Brien from Somerdale, New Jersey will be 5-years-old early next month. But he has been waiting for a heart and lungs since he was 18-months-old.
It's very rare for a child to need all three, but Riley was born with several problems that weakened his own organs and the conditions cause his major blood vessels to close.
Over his young life he's had 26 catheterization procedures to keep them open - the latest was in early February.
During their wait, his parents actively campaigned for family donor awareness to find organs, not just for him, but other kids in need.
Monday night, after 3 years, 3 months, and 3 days, Riley received a transplant.
For the Riley family '3' seems to be the charm. Twice before, Riley had been prepped for a transplant, however, surgeons determined at the last minute that the donor organs weren't suitable.
A family spokesperson says Riley is doing well, but it will be 'touch and go' for at least the next few days.
Riley's family has another hurdle to overcome - finding a new home.
Their current home, a converted doctor's office, isn't healthy - especially for Riley's new lungs.
It is structurally unsound and mold has been found in the crawl space and several walls. Doctors say he can't go home there when he is released from the hospital in 4 to 6 months.
The Riley family still owes $150,000 on their mortgage on their current home, so they'd need to pay off the mortgage as well as purchase a new home. Most of the family income from his father's job as a school maintenance worker goes toward Riley's medical expenses. The co pays went up substantially after the school system changed health insurers.
We will have more on his story as Riley recovers, and we wish him and his family all the best.
- Derailed train car blocking road in South Coatesville 7 min ago
- Brisk And Cold
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 2 million dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Suspects caught on camera prior to car theft 51 min ago
- Guide dog saves blind man after subway track fall
- Girl kidnapped, freed in Reading; suspect at large 11 min ago
- Water main break causes river of ice in Cherry Hill
- On video: Burglars steal drugs in Hunting Park 49 min ago
- Gloucester Twp. school put on precautionary lockout
- Husband charged with wife's murder in Bethlehem
- Tourist distracted by Facebook falls off pier 46 min ago
- Phila. attorney Charles Peruto, Sr. dies