Your last minute preps for Broad Street Run
PHILADELPHIA - May 3, 2013 (WPVI) -- Ready or not, the Blue Cross Broad Street Run is almost here.
Some 40,000 runners will participate in the 10 mile race on Sunday.
If you're one of them, chances are you've done your training. Bob Schwelm, the owner of the Bryn Mawr Running Company and an experienced runner, said don't try to test your fitness before the race.
"You are better off doing nothing than doing anything at all," Schwelm said. "Fresh legs are better than dead legs."
As for food, eat as you normally would and don't try anything new. On Saturday night, lighter fare is better.
As for hydration, Schwelm said "That's one thing you can actually do between now and then to improve your performance."
He said slow and steady is best. Try to drink six ounces of water for every 20 minutes you are awake. Your body will do a better job of absorbing it than if you drink a lot all at once.
Schwelm's final tip is to have fun, relax and enjoy the run!
For many, the race has a special meaning. They'll be wearing red socks to support the victims of the Boston bombings.
Schwelm said, so far, they have sold 1,500 pairs of socks and will be donating $8,000 to the One Fund.
"I am from Boston and was there at the finish line. I left an hour before," Schwelm said. "It really hits home."
If you're in the race, be sure to stop at the 6abc Water Station at mile seven on the west side of Broad Street.
philadelphia, center city, broad street run, healthcheck, ali gorman, r.n.
- Arctic Blast and Possible Weekend Storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- PennDOT clears roads of snow, preps for ice
- Limo driver charged in wreck that killed newlyweds
- Police search for burglar targeting Philly restaurants
- Police: Mom was DUI in chain-reaction crash
- Possible abduction caught on camera in Spring Garden
- No bail for 2 charged in Philly collapse
- Obama hails Mandela as "last great liberator"
- $344M Mega Millions numbers drawn
- 6 missing adults, children found alive in Nevada
- Photos: Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013 (Photos)