Details of Jolie's breast treatment revealed
LOS ANGELES, CALIF.; May 15, 2013 (WPVI) -- Doctors who treated Angelina Jolie are giving details of the operations the actress had to remove both breasts and reconstruct them with implants.
Jolie revealed on Tuesday that she had the surgery because she carries a gene that puts her at high risk of developing breast and ovarian cancer.
A doctor at the Pink Lotus Breast Center in Beverly Hills writes on the center's website that Jolie's mother had breast cancer and died of ovarian cancer, and that her maternal grandmother also had ovarian cancer.
Jolie had three operations in all, and tests showed no sign of cancer in her breasts or lymph nodes. The last operation was on April 27, 10 weeks after her double mastectomy.
The details were released as word emerged that Jolie will have more surgery, this time to remove her ovaries. The BRCA-1 genetic mutation also significantly raises the risk of ovarian cancer.
Removing them diminishes the risk, but with more side effects than mastectomy. Those include premature menopause.
- Photos: Weekend storm forecast maps
- Very cold today, Saturday storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Driver ID'd, charged in fatal crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- Berks Co. police chief faces child porn charges 35 min ago
- Interpreter at Mandela event: I was hallucinating
- On video: serial smash-and-grab burglar in action 34 min ago
- DA: Woman stole $81K from Montco church
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Police: Freshman dies after frat ritual in Poconos
- Narcotic officers raid Lacey High School
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- Photos: 60 photos of Golden Globe nominees 11 min ago
- On video: serial smash-and-grab burglar in...
34 min ago