French man dies of SARS-related respiratory virus
PARIS, FRANCE; May 28, 2013 (WPVI) -- A French patient infected with a deadly new respiratory virus related to SARS died Tuesday of the disease, which has killed half the people known to be infected and alarmed global health officials.
The novel coronavirus is related to SARS, which killed some 800 people in a global epidemic in 2003. Dr. Margaret Chan, head of the World Health Organization, singled out the illness in a speech on Monday in Geneva.
But it now has its own name - Middle Eastern Respiratry Syndrome, or MERS for short.
"We understand too little about this virus when viewed against the magnitude of its potential threat," Chan said at the annual WHO meeting. "We do not know where the virus hides in nature. We do not know how people are getting infected. Until we answer these questions, we are empty-handed when it comes to prevention. These are alarm bells. And we must respond."
WHO said in an update earlier this month that 20 of the 40 confirmed cases of the disease have ended in death. Most of those infected since the virus was identified last year had traveled to Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Jordan or Pakistan. There also have been cases in Britain and Germany.
The ministry said the Frenchman, whose illness was identified May 8 after he returned from a visit to the United Arab Emirates, died Tuesday. His hospital roommate also tested positive for the illness.
Meanwhile, the Saudi Health Ministry reported five new cases of the virus. All the patients were in their 70s or older.
In the U.S., health officials issued a warning"
"CDC recommends that U.S. travelers to countries in or near the Arabian Peninsula monitor their health and see a doctor right away if they develop fever and symptoms of lower respiratory illness, such as cough or shortness of breath. They should tell the doctor about their recent travel," the agency said in a statement.
- Multi-vehicle crash closes EB Pa. Turnpike 11 min ago
- Temps Soar 5 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Volleyball coach accused of sex with student 7 min ago
- Shots fired at home in Lower Gwynedd 9 min ago
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- Car plunges into lake in Vineland, victims ID'd
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Photos: Pictures of the Pa. Turnpike crash
- Woman's secret Santa turns out to be Bill Gates
- Temps Soar
5 min ago