American Cancer Society celebrates 100 years
May 19, 2013 (WPVI) -- Happy Birthday to the American Cancer Society which incidentally is "the Official Sponsor of Birthdays."
On Wednesday, the American Cancer Society celebrates its 100th year.
The non-profit started in 1913.
It was started by 15 doctors and businessmen in New York City who were determined to raise awareness about cancer.
23 years later women got involved and became monumental in the movement
1946 is when the first research project was started. It led to the first chemotherapy, new screening tools, and the fight to stop smoking and prevent lung cancer.
Today, the American Cancer Society has helped millions of people battling cancer and their families.
But of course, the fight is not over.
For more information on American Cancer Society "through the years" and how you can help their mission, visit http://www.cancer.org/fight/timeline
lifestyle, cancer, healthcheck
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder 36 min ago
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain 12 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Phila. police seek missing special needs woman
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip 17 min ago
- 2 NJ men sentenced for bogus 9/11 charity 8 min ago
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim 19 min ago
- Officers drive into hail of gunfire in N. Phila. 38 min ago
- Woman's body found between parked cars in West Philadelphia 34 min ago
- Doors smashed in 2 Prices Corner store burglaries
- Missing Philadelphia couple found safe
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
12 min ago
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim
19 min ago
- Officers drive into hail of gunfire in N....
38 min ago