Helping kids understand the Moore tornado
PHILADELPHIA - May 21, 2013 (WPVI) -- Once again we are watching as tragedy unfolds. The images of devastation from the tornado in Oklahoma are all around.They are heartbreaking and for children, can be scary.
As a mother of three, Jen Curyto of Narberth, Pennsylvania, has dealt with recent tragedies in a variety of ways. After the shooting in Newtown, her older daughter Mikaela started asking questions.
She says, "I always answer her honestly. If you don't or if you seem scared to discuss the topic then it is going to be scary for her."
Marybeth Mullarkey tells me she does the same with her school-aged children Jack and Meghan.
"I think it's good for kids to know what's going on in the world today but I also think things need to be edited as far as what they are going to view all the time," she notes.
Experts say that's the right advice to follow as yet another tragedy strikes - this time in Oklahoma.
For older kids, answer their questions honestly but without graphic details.
Reassure them they're safe, but limit how much coverage they're watching.
Also try to point out the positive, such as the many people helping victims of the twister.
And although tornadoes are not frequent dangers in our area, some kids are already scared of storms. News of this tornado can make things even worse.
Child psychologists say in this case, give them more information, more education about storms. Many times learning more can help alleviate fears.
oklahoma, severe weather, tornado, lifestyle, healthcheck
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge 11 min ago
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill 45 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco 9 min ago
- Police car crash leads to chase in N. Phila. 14 min ago
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Phila. police seek missing special needs woman
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Gun falls out of sock, kills thrift store worker
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 2 NJ men sentenced for bogus 9/11 charity
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
45 min ago