Mother's campaign against dating violence
PHILADELPHIA - May 28, 2013 (WPVI) -- There are no age, economic, or geographic boundaries to relationship violence. There've been high profile cases in our area recently. Now a mother whose daughter was a victim is putting the spotlight on the problem - and ways to spot trouble.
It was a story that made national headlines. A star lacrosse player at the University of Virginia was killed in a fit of jealousy by her ex-boyfriend in 2010.
Action News sat down with the young woman's mother, who says she never imagined losing her daughter this way.
And she is doing all she can to prevent it from happening to other families.
Sharon Love tells me her daughter Yeardley was funny, smart and kind.
"She lit up a room not just for me but for everyone," Sharon recalls.
She was also very athletic. She played lacrosse at the University of Virginia, a real dram-come-true, says Sharon.
But two weeks before graduation, Yeardley was beaten and killed by her ex-boyfriend George Huguely.
He is now serving a 26 year sentence.
Yeardley's mother and sister started the One Love Foundation to raise awareness about relationship violence.
One in three women will experience it in some form during her lifetime. 70-percent of victims are under the age of 25.
"We decided we'd do anything to stop this from happening to someone else and another family going through what we went through," says Sharon.
The foundation has launched a public service announcement and it's created a danger assessment app. It's free and anonymous.
The goal is to help victims, friends and family assess possible danger, and get help
Sharon wishes she knew then what she knows now.
Maybe her daughter could have been saved.
She hopes this simple app will save others.
"It's so much harder to get out once you are entrenched in the situation but if you know the signs maybe you will never get in," she says.
For information, the app, and more click on (Copyright ©2013 WPVI-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
- 4 charged with murder in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police investigate tire slashings in South Philadelphia
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- Police investigate truck accident on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Police investigate double shooting in Mantua
- 3 rescued after car plunges into Delaware pond
- 2 suspects wanted in home invasion in Dover 50 min ago
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish