Paralyzed South Jersey mom vies for national prize
MILLVILLE, N.J. - May 29, 2013 (WPVI) -- Nina Bobryk-Sheppard of Millville, N.J. is a 23-year-old mother with a single-minded goal: to be the best mom possible
But if enough people vote fot her, she also has the possibility of being named "Best Mom on Wheels 2013" by the Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation. The contest honors moms dealing with paralysis.
She was nominated be her friend Tina Amerman.
Nina's life was fairly normal, till an accident in 2011 left her a paraplegic.
Life has changed in many ways, but it hasn't changed her devotion to her 2 young children, 5-year-old Ava-Kay and 2-year-old Levi.
And it has given her a chance to be a special example of determination and hope.
In her nomination, Tina said, "She has had to learn to adapt and live a new way to continue raising her beautiful children."
Nina is one of 10 finalists from around the country in the annual contest.
And already been selected for another opportunity, to be one of 4 people with paralysis to take part in the Miami Project to Cure Paralysis. She gets on the plane tomorrow, headed for the medical treatment in South Florida.
If you want to vote for Nina, go to: Best Mom on Wheels.
- 7-alarm fire destroys homes in Sea Isle City
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Family pets die in house blaze in Newark, Del.
- Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested 3 min ago
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Pedestrian struck by train in Plymouth Meeting
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Miley Cyrus still hospitalized, postpones Philly show
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Is it time for smart watches?