Doctor discusses Darren Daulton's diagnosis
PHILADELPHIA - June 28, 2013 (WPVI) -- Former Philadelphia Phillies catcher Darren Daulton has two brain tumors, and a source told Action News that one of those tumors is inoperable.
At this point, it is unknown if the tumors are benign or cancerous, or how big they are or where in the brain they are.
A statement from radio station 97.5 The Fanatic, where Daulton hosts a radio show, says he "has not been feeling well over the past two weeks. He went to the doctor who discovered two brain tumors." Dr. Michael Weaver, chair of neurosurgery at Temple is not treating the former Phillie, but says Daulton's age - 51 - is the age where they see more brain tumors.
"You went from having a headache, now you have a life-altering diagnosis," Dr. Weaver said.
In most cases, the official diagnosis can't be made without taking a sample of the tissue, such as in a procedure or surgery. That will show if the tumor started in the brain and how it's progressing.
"There is really kind of a spectrum, some are very benign and slow growing, some are aggressive, malignant," said Dr. Weaver.
Daulton is in the intensive care unit now, scheduled for surgery next week.
Dr. Weaver says that may mean it is deep in the brain or in a spot that would be difficult to get to without causing damage.
As a longtime Phillies fan himself, he is hoping for the best for Dutch.
"You hope it is a benign tumor, hope he gets through surgery safely and that he has a speedy recovery."
lifestyle, philadelphia phillies, healthcheck, ali gorman, r.n.
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery 9 min ago
- Temps Soar
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly 40 min ago
- 1 dead after car plunges into lake in Vineland
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet? 17 min ago
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Video: Remembering a wife/mother lost to cancer
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Temps Soar
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
9 min ago
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West...
40 min ago