Tips for keeping cool in high heat and humidity
PHILADELPHIA - July 4, 2013 (WPVI) -- With July fourth expected to be the first day of our next heat wave, knowing how to keep cool is vitally important.
The longer you are outside, the more careful you have to be to keep your family safe in the extreme heat and humidity.
Spectators were staking out their spots early Thursday for the Party on the Parkway. It's a day to display our patriotism and spend plenty of time outside with friends and family.
"I love everything about it. I love the fireworks, parades, street celebration. So I am a big fan," said Carrie Rightmare of Center City Philadelphia.
Five-year-old Julian Archer is also a big fan, and like many, his family came down early and was planning to stay late.
"We got here around 11:30 a.m. and we'll be out here all day, catch the fireworks, enjoy ourselves," said Olympia Tavorn of Drexel Hill, Pa.
But while everyone is enjoying the festivities, keep in mind as the sun beats down and humidity rises, you need to drink extra fluids which are low in sugar. And no alcohol or caffeine.
Also, take breaks in the shade like the Johnson family did under a tent. Or the Clarkes from Queens, New York, who parked themselves under a tree.
Seniors and kids are most vulnerable to heat-related problems, so keep a close eye on them.
Medics were stationed all over the Parkway area, prepared for potential problems. There were also cooling stations so everyone could enjoy a happy, healthy holiday.
And remember, if you or child has asthma, don't forget to have a rescue inhaler with you, because high humidity can make problems worse.
lifestyle, heat wave, healthcheck, ali gorman, r.n.
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Milder Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown 10 min ago
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
10 min ago