Is the SPF in cosmetics enough protection?
PHILADELPHIA - July 19, 2013 (WPVI) -- Many cosmetics and lotions now contain a sun protection factor, or SPF.
But one dermatologist said it is not enough.
"You are covered to some degree but it's not the ultimate coverage," said Dr. Coyle Connolly.
First off, he said there is a lot of variability including different strengths.
Second, he said you probably don't use as much foundation as you would sunscreen.
But, with using makeup only, your face is covered for a while but the sun could still be hitting your neck, ears and arms.
"It's putting you at risk for future skin cancer development and the development for aging skin such as fine lines, wrinkles and age spots," said Dr. Connolly.
He recommends using sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30, broad spectrum, before putting on makeup.
"You really do want to layer them," he said.
While powders with SPF may not offer the best coverage alone, they are good to use as a supplement throughout the day.
lifestyle, healthcheck, ali gorman, r.n.
- Nelson Mandela dies at age 95
- Periods of rain today, getting cooler 16 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- 2 women hospitalized after Schuylkill Expy. crash 1 min ago
- Mattress catches fire in townhouse in White Marsh 2 min ago
- Police raid alleged chop shop in North Philadelphia
- Restaurant owner slashes robber with sushi knife
- Feds accused of targeting minorities in stash house stings
- Center City rape victims speaks to Action News
- Surveillance: Christmas packages stolen from home
- Fmr. Marine's murder suspect held on $2M bail
- Photos: 21 suspects ID'd in Collingdale drug sweep