Local charity to be seen on "Secret Millionaire"
August 2, 2013 (WPVI) -- A charity that helps families in the Delaware and Lehigh valleys will be featured on ABC's "Secret Millionaire."
In the show, a millionaire goes undercover, volunteering at different non-profits and, many times, surprising the charities with a donation.
This week, the Casey Cares Foundation, with a local office in Downingtown, will be featured.
The charity helps the families of children who are critically ill.
Cullen Jones, 9, and his family are among those they've helped. Less than two years ago, he was in the hospital battling stage four Hodgkin's lymphoma, a cancer that starts in the lymph system.
"I was just numb, really. I was just absolutely numb," said his mother, Christine.
His mother said it was a very difficult year for the entire family, but the Casey Cares Foundation made things a little easier.
"We help not only the critically ill child but the entire family," said founder Casey Baynes.
For some, it's as simple as a pajama party while others get up close to their favorite sports team.
For the Jones' they went to Hershey Park, the circus and saw Disney on Ice.
"We saw Princesses on Ice and Nemo," said Lila and Evan Jones, Cullen's brother and sister.
"It took the focus off Cullen being sick and it really boosted us into doing family things again," said Christine.
Cullen said he enjoyed all of the activities, saying "I was stuck doing nothing in the hospital."
As for "Secret Millionaire," Casey didn't want to give anything away, but said "It's one of those things where you see those types of shows and you think, 'Really, guys, you didn't see this coming?' We just thought she was another volunteer interested in our mission."
You can tune in to see what happens on Secret Millionaire this Sunday, August 4th, at 8:00 p.m. on 6abc.
For more information about the Casey Cares Foundation, visit their website at CaseyCaresFoundation.org.
lifestyle, charity, cancer, abc, 6abc, healthcheck, ali gorman, r.n.
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit, run
- Tracking St. Patty's Day Snow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance deliberate
- Elderly woman crashes into Toms River law ofc.
- Bucks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas 8 min ago
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
- Del. trooper charged with stalking, harassment
- Community relief for victims of Ewing Twp. explosion
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans 51 min ago
- 3 people injured in Roosevelt Boulevard crash
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Authorities: Chris Brown arrested on warrant
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos