Back to school: Healthy lunches
August 26, 2013 (WPVI) -- As kids get ready to head back to the classroom, we have some ideas for parents for easy meals that will keep kids going during and after school.
We asked registered dietician Diane Henderiks for some ideas for quick, healthy, nutritious dinners that can be re-purposed for school lunches.
We begin with Taco Night.
"All the classic things are in a taco, and we have some lean ground beef, you can also use lean turkey or lean chicken," said Henderiks.
After dinner, pack ingredients into containers and into a lunch box.
"It works great, make sure you use a cold pack, keep everything cold, then rotisserie chicken, I love because there is no cooking involved, simple and easy to re-purpose into a million things," she says.
Paninis are a great example.
"That's on whole grain bread, reduced fat cheese, spinach and lean chicken," Hendericks says.
Next up is pasta: pasta salad.
"You take some aside at dinner time," says Hendericks, "turn it into cold pasta salad where you chop up your kids' favorite veggies."
She suggests packing a cup to a cup and a half for a school-aged child.
Lastly turkey meatloaf can easily be re-purposed into lunchtime sliders.
"Throw in some veggies on the side," says Hendericks.
Find the complete recipes at dianehenderiks.com
lifestyle, back to school, healthcheck, ali gorman, r.n.
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife 4 min ago
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man shot by off-duty cop during fight ID'd
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Police investigate 2 shootings at illegal Trenton bar
- Man arrested after Phila. police crash, chase ID'd 46 min ago
- Accused wedding crasher thief pleads guilty
- SEPTA, union resume talks to avoid strike
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run 7 min ago
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery 49 min ago
- Photos: Pictures from the 2014 Red Ball