Back to school: Healthy lunches
August 26, 2013 (WPVI) -- As kids get ready to head back to the classroom, we have some ideas for parents for easy meals that will keep kids going during and after school.
We asked registered dietician Diane Henderiks for some ideas for quick, healthy, nutritious dinners that can be re-purposed for school lunches.
We begin with Taco Night.
"All the classic things are in a taco, and we have some lean ground beef, you can also use lean turkey or lean chicken," said Henderiks.
After dinner, pack ingredients into containers and into a lunch box.
"It works great, make sure you use a cold pack, keep everything cold, then rotisserie chicken, I love because there is no cooking involved, simple and easy to re-purpose into a million things," she says.
Paninis are a great example.
"That's on whole grain bread, reduced fat cheese, spinach and lean chicken," Hendericks says.
Next up is pasta: pasta salad.
"You take some aside at dinner time," says Hendericks, "turn it into cold pasta salad where you chop up your kids' favorite veggies."
She suggests packing a cup to a cup and a half for a school-aged child.
Lastly turkey meatloaf can easily be re-purposed into lunchtime sliders.
"Throw in some veggies on the side," says Hendericks.
Find the complete recipes at dianehenderiks.com
lifestyle, back to school, healthcheck, ali gorman, r.n.
- Target confirms breach; up to 40M affected 48 min ago
- Turning Milder
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Man dies in fast-moving blaze in Talleyville 10 min ago
- Police search for suspects in religious store robbery
- Jewelry thieves target Montgomery Co. open houses
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught on camera 28 min ago
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed
- Video: Christmas tree comes to life in school prank 44 min ago
- Target confirms breach; up to 40M affected
48 min ago
- Man dies in fast-moving blaze in Talleyville
10 min ago
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught...
28 min ago