Philly helps effort to find bone marrow donors
PHILADELPHIA - September 18, 2013 (WPVI) -- A nationwide effort is under way to help millions of Americans suffering from blood cancers through bone marrow transplants.
As it turns out, the initiative was born in Philadelphia. It's one of 14 cities across the country participating in the effort.
It's called "City Swab," which aims find people who could be potential bone marrow donors.
In Center City, volunteers from "Racing to Register" and "Delete Blood Cancer" set up inside five office buildings.
All it takes is a little bit of paperwork and two 10 second swabs inside your cheeks.
"I always say 'it only takes one,' so if we find one match, that's great," said Tom Kramer, the founder of Racing to Register.
Kramer said his wife, Pam, has a rare blood cancer. When she needed a bone marrow transplant, she couldn't find a match. Thankfully, her condition is now stable.
Sadly, many aren't as fortunate. As registry stands today, only 40 percent of patients find a match.
But, the more people who sign up, the greater the chance is to match and save a life.
"It's definitely a great feeling and I am excited, I hope I am a match," said Brianna Reinford of Pottstown, Pa.
Even if you couldn't make it to one the registry events, you can sign up online 24 hours a day. They will send you the paperwork and swabs and you simply mail it back.
Event organizers said they more people to sign up, especially minorities because they typically have a more difficult time finding a match.
For more information, visit:
lifestyle, healthcheck, ali gorman, r.n.
- Iranian teen had stolen passport on missing jet
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Video: Cat attacks toddler, parents call 911 34 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos