Breakthrough for men and women battling baldness
October 22, 2013 (WPVI) -- Scientist in the United States and Britain say they have found a new way to grow hair, and it might lead to new solutions for baldness.
Doctor Angela Christiano at Columbia University Medical Center teamed up with researchers at durham University in the U.K. For the first time they were able to grow new hair that lasted at least six weeks on human skin grafted on to the backs of mice.
It could eventually help men in the early stages of balding and women who have limited hair follicles.
Christiano explains, "It should become sort of more universally available and applicable to all types of hair loss in women and men."
And the discovery - adapting cells - could lead to treatments for other problems.
Some experts say while the new research is exciting, turning it into a treatment is still years away.
Meanwhile, researchers at the University of Pennsylvania say they are much further along on their approach - a lotion that would make the hair follicles you have, grow again.
Last year Doctor George Cotsarelis said his team had found a protein which inhibits hair growth. Blocking that protein should allow hair to grow again.
Dr. Cotsarelis says, "There are actually compounds available that already target this pathway, and they're in development by several different companies."
He says putting them into a topical formula should be fairly easy.
"When you apply those to the scalp, they would inactivate the receptor, and allow the hair to grow."
As for the local research, Penn could start clinical trials on humans in the next few years.
The discovery made by the British-American team is years away from trying it on humans.
lifestyle, healthcheck, ali gorman, r.n.
- 2 dead after building explosion in New York City 2 min ago
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Video: Raw video from scene of NYC explosion 41 min ago
- Man in boxers attacks police station, cars 15 min ago
- Photos: Pictures of smashed police car, station...
- Montco 3rd grader hospitalized with meningitis infection 21 min ago
- Homes evacuated in Tacony for gas leak 14 min ago
- Sandusky's wife: Victims manipulated over money
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody
- Co. carjacking suspect arrested after rush hour chase 4 min ago
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
- Raw video from scene of NYC explosion
41 min ago