The challenge of raising healthy kids with allergies, asthma
PHILADELPHIA - October 23, 2013 (WPVI) -- Christopher Arriviello is a 5-year-old with lots of energy ... and lots of allergies.
His mother, Stephanie Arriviello, explains, "He is allergic to trees, grass, dust, molds, weeds, cats and dogs."
His mother says that as a toddler, Christopher always seemed congested. It would lead to asthma flare ups or respiratory infections. So he was tested to identify his triggers.
Dr. Nicholas Pawlowski is an allergy specialist at Children's Hospital. He explained to us that allergies often fall into seasons, so parents should look for patterns.
Are the problems worse in the spring or summer when kids are outdoors more, or are they worse in fall or winter - the 'indoor' season?
The first tactic is to cut a child's exposure to the allergens, such as using air conditioning in spring and summer. Or have your child change clothes after being outside.
Because Christopher's allergies were complex, Dr. Pawlowski recommended weekly shots that would desensitize him to his triggers.
"For pollen and eyes and nose, allergy shots are really very good," said Dr. Pawlowski. "I've never had anyone not respond."
And at the first sign of an asthma problem, Christopher's mom starts an action plan designed to head off a full-scale attack. That and the shots have made a difference.
Stephanie says, "Here we are, 8 weeks into the school year, and he hasn't missed a day of school."
Now Christopher's allergies and asthma don't get in the way.
His mom says it may take time and attention to stay ahead of them. But it keeps him out of the hospital.
lifestyle, raising healthy kids, healthcheck, ali gorman, r.n.
- Iranian teen had stolen passport on missing jet 34 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden 39 min ago
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Video: Cat attacks toddler, traps parents in room 25 min ago
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden
39 min ago
- Dad ditches son's stroller to catch baseball
25 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos