Man meets doctor who saved his life
SPRINGFIELD, Pa. - December 24, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Berks County man says he already received the best gift this year. He got a second chance at life and the opportunity to meet and thank some of the doctors who made it possible.
61-year-old Jack Benning had been looking forward to meeting Dr. Keli Donnelly since late September, since she saved his life.
That's when Benning, a veteran runner, ran the Rock & Roll half-marathon.
Dr. Donnelly of Crozer-Keystone Health System was on the medical team at the race.
Just before the finish line, he went down.
"I just ran toward where I was told someone had collapsed," Dr. Donnelly said. "He was laying on the ground, and he was unresponsive."
No breathing and no pulse.
A blocked heart artery had put Benning's heart into a deadly flutter.
CPR and then a shock from an AED restarted his heart in 30 seconds.
"I don't remember anything of that day at all," Benning said.
At the hospital, his body was cooled to reduce brain damage. It worked.
Benning has no lasting effects from his heart attack.
Although the artery blockage was likely building for years, his only warning sign was brief chest pain last spring.
"It was easy to write off. I said 'OK, that's purely indigestion,'" Benning said. Now he has two stents in the artery and is cleared to run again.
"I think his health is much better today than it was before the marathon," Dr. David Webner of Crozer-Keystone Health System said.
And he is thankful for all of the people, mostly strangers, who helped save his life.
"It's restored my faith in humanity for the number of people who stepped up," Benning said.
Benning is very fortunate. In the medical community, we say "time is muscle," meaning the longer blood flow is blocked, the longer the heart muscle is not getting oxygen.
The fact that he was treated and shocked so quickly made a huge difference. Doctor Webner thinks veteran runners sometimes push too hard and ignore subtle signs of a problem.
lifestyle, healthcheck, ali gorman, r.n.
- Photos: Maps of Monday's expected snow
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- SEPTA union agrees to keep working 9 min ago
- Break dancers spark controversy on SEPTA trains 4 min ago
- 3 injured in 2-alarm fire in Holmesburg
- Students evacuated in Camden H.S. gas leak
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL 29 min ago
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence 14 min ago
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- Teen father arrested for biting nose off infant
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Video: Pastor collapses, dies, after admitting...
- SEPTA union agrees to keep working
9 min ago
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
29 min ago