Are you addicted to sugar?
December 26, 2013 (WPVI) -- If you are starting to feel like your sweet tooth is out of control, you are not alone, especially this time of the year.
A new study shows adults get 13-percent of their daily calories from added sugars. And that sugar can be addictive.
Studies have shown sugar affects our brain very similar to how cocaine, heroin and alcohol affects the brain.
To figure out of you have an addiction, doctors will need to do a diet history.
Here are some warning signs to sugar addiction:
*you wake up wanting sugar
*you feel irritable without it
*you go out of your way to get it
*you are hiding it.
You may not like this, but experts say the best way to get over the addiction is to completely cut added sugar from your diet.
Many will try to do that anyway after the holidays are over when the New Year's Resolutions kick in.
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard 4 min ago
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill 15 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County 24 min ago
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco 17 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge 19 min ago
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
15 min ago
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239...
4 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun...
19 min ago
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County
24 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos