New drug for mild to moderate pain
December 27, 2013 (WPVI) -- If you take over-the-counter drugs to help to relieve aches and pains, you will soon have a new option. And it may come with fewer side effects.
Millions of people take the class of drugs known as NSAIDS for things like headaches, arthritis and back pain.
NSAIDS (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug)
Examples: Ibuprofen (Motrin)
Higher doses = Greater risk for problems (heart attack, stomach bleeding)
But studies have shown the higher the dose you take and the more often, the greater the risk is for problems like heart attack or stomach bleeding.
That is where the new drug called Zorvolex aims to help. It was recently approved by the FDA and is a new version of another NSAID.
The particles that make up the new drug are 20 times smaller than other drugs. So it dissolves faster in the stomach, and you get the same result with less medication.
"The doses that we've studied, and that have been approved, are 20% lower than the commercially available doses," said Dr. Clarence Young.
Dr. Clarence Young is the Chief Medical Officer for the company that makes the drug.
He expects to see a 20-percent reduction in stomach bleeding and a 7-percent drop in heart effects.
That could be significant because right now, every year tens-of-thousands of patients suffer serious problems due to stomach bleeding caused by NSAIDs.
The new drug will be on the market in the New Year.
If this is something you think may help you, talk to your healthcare provider before starting any new medication.
heart health, lifestyle, healthcheck, ali gorman, r.n.
- Skydiver ID'd in fatal Washing Twp. accident 26 min ago
- 70s Return This Week 5 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- $10K to $30K stolen in Target armed robbery 8 min ago
- I-95 reopens after car catches fire 11 min ago
- Person of interest ID'd in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Residents displaced after West Philadelphia fire 22 min ago
- 4 injured in Route 295 crash 10 min ago
- Camden teen reported missing
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Oscar Mayer hot dogs recalled due to misbranding
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!
- Skydiver ID'd in fatal Washing Twp. accident
26 min ago