Locals Killed in Bus Crash in Chile
SANTIAGO, CHILE-March 23, 2006 (WPVI) -- In the aftermath of a deadly tour bus crash in South America, officials announced that several of the 12 victims who died are from New Jersey.
They were part of a B'nai B'rith group on vacation.
A hotline for relatives has been set up: 1-888-829-4050.
The crash happened yesterday in the port city of Arica ,Chile.
The group is from the Ponds senior community in Monroe Township Middlesex County, just east of Princeton.
They were returning to their cruise ship after a side trip to a national park. Their bus plunged down a 300-foot mountainside when the driver swerved to avoid hitting an oncoming truck.
Two Americans and the driver survived the crash. Celebrity cruises is flying the relatives of the victims to South America.
We will have much more on this developing story beginning tonight on Action News at 5.
(Copyright 2006 by 6abc and Action News. All rights reserved.)
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- Police raid alleged chop shop in North Philadelphia
- Restaurant owner slashes robber with sushi knife
- Feds accused of targeting minorities in stash house stings
- Center City rape victims speaks to Action News
- Surveillance: Christmas packages stolen from home
- Christmas decoration theft caught on camera
- Fmr. Marine's murder suspect held on $2M bail
- Photos: 21 suspects ID'd in Collingdale drug sweep
- Arrest in theft of Porsche part from Walker crash