First Macy's in Philadelphia Opens
PHILADELPHIA _ August 2, 2006 (WPVI) -- The new Macy's is busy Wednesday night with customers who've come to check it out. The store opened with great fanfare Wednesday morning. The name is new in Center City, but Macy's promises that the Philadelphia traditions will stay the same, even get better in time.
Wednesday morning, the ribbon was cut and what was once Wanamaker's, then Lord and Taylor, is now Macy's Philadelphia flagship. Ron Klein/CEO MACY'S EAST: "This iconic building will now proudly carry the Macy's name." Macy's brought a taste of its Thanksgiving Day Parade and customers lined up early eager to start shopping.
They checked out the merchandise and even found a few deals.
The bronze eagle still stands in the center hall. The pipe organ will keep making music. And the light show will be back this coming Christmas. Michelle Tate\East Mt. Airy: "I would hope they would keep the light show. I've been coming down here since I was a little girl." Some found the Macy's: Helen Price\North Philadelphia: "The same. The same. Just like this when it was Wanamaker's. Just like this when it was Lord and Taylor." You don't sound impressed. "No." For others, this store is a familiar old friend. Yes, it's the same, but somehow Macy's seems much better. Joe Baker\Roxborough: "It's a little extra. I think it's like a woman when she does her spring-cleaning. Now it looks extra nice." The light show will be the same this year, but get bigger and better like in year's past, and there's an indoor fireworks display planned for Wednesday night at 7:30.
- Video: 5,000 turn out for Easter service in Mt. Airy
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment
- Man found shot in minivan in Tioga-Nicetown
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel
- 2 injured after car hits Camden police cruiser
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Divers pull more bodies from sunken South Korean ferry
- Video: Snowmobiler charged by angry moose