N.J. Gets New Governor... For a Day
TRENTON, N.J. (AP) - December 28, 2006 -- New Jersey is getting a new governor - but only for today.
Transportation Commissioner Kris Kolluri will take over the post because Governor Corzine will be out of town. So will the Senate president, Assembly speaker and attorney general, all of whom are ahead of Kolluri in the line of succession.
Under state law, an acting governor has to be appointed whenever the governor is absent from the state.
New Jersey will get a lieutenant governor, but not until 2010.
Kolluri emigrated to New Jersey from India with his family in 1985 and will be the state's first Indian governor.
Kolluri joked that he won't have enough time to solve the state's property tax dilemma today, but will find time to bring his family and a few friends to the governor's mansion to snap some pictures.
(Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
- Photos: LATEST MAPS: 6+" in parts of NJ 41 min ago
- Co-pilot spoke missing plane's last words
- Earthquake strongly felt across Los Angeles 26 min ago
- Video: Annie McCormick: Snow in Atlantic City
- Video: Katherine Scott: Snow in Delaware
- Woman, 98, injured in Powelton high-rise fire
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Delaware man suspected in 14 different thefts
- Photos: Suspects in Pa. 'street-level' drug sweep
- NJ salon customer allegedly attacks employees
- This is now Philly's 2nd snowiest winter
28 min ago