Children, Community Mourn Shooting Victims
KENSINGTON - June 22, 2007 (WPVI) -- Ten children wept at a vigil on Friday, struggling to understand why their mothers became victims of violence.
The eldest sister, 30-year-old Dianna Patrick, is dead. She left behind 6 young children. The youngest is 5. The oldest, who is 13, is trying to stay strong for the sake of her siblings.
"I got five other ones so I got to be strong. It's a big job for a 13-year-old girl. I never thought I could plan this for my mom, but I gotta be strong now," said Kiomyra Conde.
Dianna and her sister, 29-year-old Jennifer Patrick, confronted two men selling drugs at the corner of Sommerset and Emerald on Thursday night. They told them to stop because of the children nearby.
Raheem Haines, 20, stepped in on the side of the women. Police said 28-year-old Angel Maldanado pulled a gun and fired directly at the women and at Haines, a father of three who also was killed.
Police said 22-year-old Angelo Martinez drove the getaway car. Both suspects were arrested within minutes of the shooting.
"It just makes me sad. It makes me want to cry, but I don''t want to cry. I want to hold it and be strong," said Demetrius Ramos, one of Jennifer Patrick's four children, ages 5 to 14.
Now, the adults in the family have 11 children to care for while planning for a funeral and praying that Jennifer will make a full recovery.
The suspects are charged with murder and attempted murder. They were arrested within minutes of the shooting because of cooperation from witnesses. Police say these days that's very unusual, but so critical to solving the city's murders.
Friends and family of the victims are pleading for the violence to stop.
"We need to stop. They got kids out here and they are suffering," said resident Abbie Montalbo.
"We need somebody to do something now before it's too late, before other kids get hurt. She got killed protecting her kids and now I have a daughter in the hospital fighting for her life," said Pedro Torres.
(Copyright 2007 by 6abc and Action News. All rights reserved.)
- Cab driver carjacked in South Philadelphia 3 min ago
- PennDOT clears roads of snow, preps for ice
- Limo driver charged in wreck that killed newlyweds
- Police search for burglar targeting Philly restaurants
- Police: Mom was DUI in chain-reaction crash
- Possible abduction caught on camera in Spring Garden
- No bail for 2 charged in Philly collapse
- Obama hails Mandela as "last great liberator"
- 6 missing adults, children found alive in Nevada
- Photos: Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013 (Photos)
- 3 frigid days, another weekend storm
8 min ago
- Cab driver carjacked in South Philadelphia
3 min ago
- Police push burning car in New Hampshire
17 min ago