Woman killed in Birdsboro blaze
BIRDSBORO, Pa. - March 22, 2008 -- A Berks County woman was found dead after an early-morning fire destroyed an apartment building in Birdsboro.
Authorities say 68-year-old Sophie Zimmerman lived on the second floor of the three-story building. She was found unconscious and was pronounced dead at about noon at Reading Hospital. Two other people in the building were uninjured.
The fire was reported at 1:15 a.m. Saturday, and 25 companies from three counties spent more than six hours battling the blaze. The building was demolished and a neighboring structure was severely damaged.
Birdsboro Fire Company Chief Vernon Kulp III says some combustible materials used in renovations may have helped prolong the blaze.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
Information from: Reading Eagle, http://www.readingeagle.com/
- Photos: Weekend storm forecast maps 59 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Tennis coach charged with corruption of minors 26 min ago
- Mega Millions jackpot jumps to $425-million 19 min ago
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought
- Police: Driver dies in crash after fleeing 2 others
- Laundromat robbed in Cedarbrook
- Stolen Xmas decorations returned in Berks Co. 30 min ago
- Video captures Manayunk market break-in
- Carjack suspect in custody in SW Phila.
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering