Woman killed in Birdsboro blaze
BIRDSBORO, Pa. - March 22, 2008 -- A Berks County woman was found dead after an early-morning fire destroyed an apartment building in Birdsboro.
Authorities say 68-year-old Sophie Zimmerman lived on the second floor of the three-story building. She was found unconscious and was pronounced dead at about noon at Reading Hospital. Two other people in the building were uninjured.
The fire was reported at 1:15 a.m. Saturday, and 25 companies from three counties spent more than six hours battling the blaze. The building was demolished and a neighboring structure was severely damaged.
Birdsboro Fire Company Chief Vernon Kulp III says some combustible materials used in renovations may have helped prolong the blaze.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
Information from: Reading Eagle, http://www.readingeagle.com/
- 1 dead, multiple in custody after Logan standoff 22 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash 15 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco 34 min ago
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown 33 min ago
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- New joint replacement technique for the elbow 14 min ago
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases
- 1 dead, multiple in custody after Logan...
22 min ago
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
34 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
15 min ago