Family, dispatchers celebrate baby's early arrival
NORTH WILMINGTON, Del. - May 2, 2008 (WPVI) -- 5 emergency workers from New Castle County, Delaware met the baby they helped bring into the world.
When Anthony Xavier, 8lbs 15 oz., arrived healthy, but two weeks early, he caught his parents Shannon and Charles Babu off guard. Early on April 17th, Charles called paramedics when Shannon's water broke."My wife is in labor and the baby is coming," Charles said on the 911 tape. Little Anthony didn't wait for help as he appeared on the bathroom floor within seconds as the dispatcher got on the phone.
As paramedics raced toward the Babu's North Wilmington home, the dispatcher coached the couple's efforts to make sure the newborn was ok. As the dispatcher talked Dad through cleaning the baby and tying his umbilical chord, you can hear big brother Vinnie chime in. "Is that the new baby coming?" Vinnie said. Ultimately, emergency crews arrived, cut the umbilical chord, and took the family to the hospital. "You hear so many stories about people having a home birth that wasn't planned and it can be so disastrous. We were just lucky," Shannon Babu said. The Babu's believe the emergency crews helped them avoid any complications and invited them over to offer thanks and reintroduce them to little Anthony.. "We just wanted to tell you all thank you so much for helping us and keeping control and helping us not panic," Shannon said. "It makes you feel great. For all the calls we do and we don't know about the outcomes," New Castle County Dispatcher Jamie Rosseel said. Little Anthony may have made a few friends for life, just by showing up a little early.
local/state, denise james
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd 41 min ago
- Easter Sunshine Sunday 21 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard 27 min ago
- Elderly man struck, killed in Rhawnhurst 41 min ago
- Sex assault on West Chester University campus 41 min ago
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off 41 min ago
- Crimefighters: Reward in Camden drive-thru murder 24 min ago
- Divers pull more bodies from South Korean ferry 40 min ago
- No cause yet in 7-alarm Sea Isle City fire 41 min ago
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
41 min ago
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search...
41 min ago
- Divers pull more bodies from South Korean...
40 min ago
- Easter Sunshine Sunday
21 min ago