For sale: Extreme Makeover house
PENNSAUKEN, N.J. - May 6, 2008 (WPVI) -- A New Jersey family profiled on ABC's Extreme Makeover Home Edition is creating extreme surprise with its latest action. The popular show gave single father Victor Marrero and his 5 sons a new home just months ago. Then on Monday Marrero put it up for sale.
Victor Marrero had his house on the market at half a million dollars for just 1 day. Today he took it off. He says it was a hasty decision made because he's felt overwhelmed by the high cost of keeping this house built for his family last summer.
Victor Marrero says the dream house built for him and his 5 sons last August by ABC's Extreme Makeover Home Edition is becoming unaffordable.
Last August the Marrero family moved into their new home on Federal Street in Pennsauken. In addition, the builder J.S. Hovnanian of Mount Laurel set aside $59,000 to help with bills according to Marrero. But celebrity can have its down side, and Marrero says he started getting bills he never knew he owed from years ago.
Marrero explains, "As soon as I moved in here, within a month a got bills way back from 1994 when I had my bypass. And they were saying they were going to put a lien on the house, so most of that money went to paying bills."
Marrero says it's an expensive home to operate and gas and electricity bills run between $700and $1200 a month. Property taxes are over $6,000. The nest egg, he says, is gone.
Marrero, who is on disability, says 3 of his 5 sons are now working to help out.
The Marreros have gotten a lot of guidance and support from the Urban Promise Ministries located next door. The organization says it will work with the family to help them find solutions to their problems.
local/state, cathy gandolfo
- Police shoot man in Brewerytown 14 min ago
- Spotty, Drenching Downpours
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- I-5 bridge collapses into Washington river 19 min ago
- Boy Scouts approve plan to accept openly gay boys
- Woman convicted in fiance's wedding day death
- Armed robber steals $800 from Northeast Philadelphia bank
- 8 charged in $14M drug operation in SE Pa.
- Missing Skippack student found in North Carolina
- NJ: Caramel-colored rubbing alcohol sold as scotch
- Chase Utley out 2-4 weeks with oblique strain
- Obama to tour Jersey Shore with Gov. Christie
- Ohio kidnap case hero gets year of free McDonald's
- Police shoot man in Brewerytown
14 min ago
- I-5 bridge collapses into Washington river
19 min ago